Wind-assisted box ship design wins AiP from BV

Innovative wind-assisted 2,500teu container ship “Trade Wings 2,500” from VPLP Design, Alwena Shipping, SDARI and AYRO receives Approval in Principle from Bureau Veritas.

“Trade Wings 2,500”, an innovative container ship with a capacity of 2,500teu, designed jointly by VPLP Design, Alwena Shipping, SDARI, and AYRO has received Approval in Principle from Bureau Veritas (BV). With an overall length of 197m and a breadth of 32m, the vessel offers a deadweight of 32,500 m tons.

It fosters the combination of a wind-assisted propulsion with six Oceanwings with an LNG-electric propulsion with pods. The wingsails are installed on a vertical sliding mechanism to retract them partially while the vessel is in port, thus minimising the impact on cargo operations. The LNG storage tank is based on the GTT Mark III containment system and the LNG power plant is designed with pure gas four-stroke gensets only. This architecture is a flexible platform offering possible upgrade to decarbonated fuels in the future such as ammonia or hydrogen.

Suitable for short sea shipping operations or feedering in Europe, Central America, Caribbean Islands, and China, the Trade Wings 2,500 can also operate on transatlantic trades. The design minimises time in port operations, as manoeuvrability is increased with the pods, and the hatch coverless design further speeds up cargo operations.

On a typical transatlantic route of 4,000 nautical miles it is claimed the Trade Wings 2,500 will save on average 35% CO2-equivalent emissions compared to a conventional design, with a two-stroke engine, single shaft and without wingsails, at the same speed. Out of these 35% savings, the Oceanwings accounts to 57%, the optimised LNG thermal propulsion delivering the remaining 43% savings.

After reviewing the key drawings BV granted an Approval in Principle to the Trade Wings 2500’s basic design.

Alex Gregg-Smith, Senior Vice-President Bureau Veritas for North Asia said, “Wind-assisted propulsion is a high-potential solution that can contribute to the long-term decarbonisation of the marine industry. We have just released new wind propulsion system rules – and this innovative design, approved in principle by BV, including a sliding mechanism, demonstrates the feasibility of wind-assisted propulsion on board container ships with deck space limitations. Benefitting from a coverless hatch and LNG electric pod propulsion, the design provides both operational flexibility, improved efficiency and reduced carbon emissions, complying with, or exceeding, regulatory requirements. Bureau Veritas continues to address the challenges of the energy transition by providing solutions to the safety, risk and performance requirements for innovation in future fuels and propulsion systems.”

Copy link
Powered by Social Snap