It has been announced by the IMO that further meeting have been postponed or cancelled due to continuing difficulties for some delegates from IMO Member States travelling from abroad to attend IMO meetings, and the determination by the World Health Organization, on 11 March, that the outbreak is now pandemic, the decision has been taken to postpone IMO meetings until the end of May. As a result, the following meetings are now postponed:
- the 44th session of the Facilitation Committee (FAL), scheduled to take place from 20 to 24 April;
- the 102nd session of the Maritime Safety Committee (MSC), scheduled to take place from 13 to 22 May.
- the 2nd meeting of the IMO Expert Group on Data Harmonization (IMO EG (EGDH)), scheduled to take place from 27 April to 1 May; 2 (27/04-01/05);
- the Port symposium "A Holistic approach to standards for port operational data in maritime supply chains", scheduled to take place on 30 April.
These postponements are in addition to those already announced on 6 and 12 March, specifically the postponement of:
- the 7th meeting of the Intersessional Working Group on Reduction of GHG Emissions from Ships, scheduled to take place from 23 to 27 March 2020;
- the 33rd meeting of the E&T Group (IMSBC), scheduled to take place from 23 to 27 March 2020;
- the 75th session of the Marine Environment Protection Committee (MEPC), scheduled to take place from 30 March to 3 April 2020.
- the meeting of the Scientific Group of the London Convention and London Protocol scheduled to take place from 9 to 13 March 2020; and
- the 107th session of the Legal Committee, scheduled to take place from 16 to 20 March 2020.
IMO Member States have been advised by circular letter and email, to diplomatic contact points.
The IMO Secretariat will continue to monitor all developments related to COVID-19 and will follow advice provided by the World Health Organization (WHO), the Government of the United Kingdom (as the host government) and actions taken by other UN agencies. It will advise as soon as possible on future developments. Rescheduling of the meetings listed above will be announced in good time for delegates to make appropriate arrangements. Updates about other future meetings will be provided as appropriate and as soon as possible.