AIDA Cruises now running on gas

Malcolm Latarche

Malcolm Latarche · 13 December 2018


Carnival Corporation subsidiary AIDA cruises has taken delivery of the world’s first cruise ship capable of running solely on LNG. The 183,000gt vessel built at Meyer Werft’s Papenburg yard also claims other accolades being the largest vessel in the Carnival fleet and the largest cruise ship ever built in Germany.

AIDAnova is the first of three new ships for the AIDA brand. The other ships with a rating of over 183,000 GRT and capacity for more than 2,500 cabins each will be reinforcing the AIDA fleet at the end of 2021 and 2023. The power for the ship comes from a quartet of MaK 16M46DF engines each capable of producing 15,440kW. AIDA has two other vessels AIDAprima and AIDAperla that also have dual-fuel engines capable of supplying 40% of required power with the other 60% coming from conventional oil-fired engines.


“AIDAnova is a milestone for our company and the entire cruise industry,” said Michael Thamm, group CEO of Carnival Corporation’s Costa Group – which includes AIDA Cruises and Costa Cruises – and Carnival Asia. “With Carnival Corporation pioneering LNG technology, we start a new era of environmentally friendly cruising. It's important now that the respective infrastructure will be further developed as more and more cruise lines are following our example.”

AIDAnova also marks an exciting new generation of ships for AIDA Cruises, Germany’s leading cruise line. The new vessel combines innovative design, state-of-the-art technology and inspiring on-board features to enhance the vacation experience – including a domed adventure deck, theatre with a 360-degree stage, TV studio, more than 20 different stateroom types and 40 different restaurants and bars, giving guests plenty of options for playing, relaxing and enjoying world-class dining.

In total, following the launch of AIDAnova, Carnival Corporation has an additional 10 next-generation “green” cruise ships on order that will be powered by LNG in port and at sea, with expected delivery dates between 2019 and 2025, leading the cruise industry’s use of LNG to power cruise ships.

Delivery of the ship was initially planned for November but a fire onboard caused a delay while required rectification work was carried out.

The Journal

Published every February the journal is now recognised as the highest quality publication that covers all aspects of maritime technology and regulation and a must read for the industry.

More Details